The holidays are over and you’ve come to the sad realization that all your clothes are tight. Nights out filled with great food and fine wine have caught up with you, while its probable and scary to think that actual body fat and body weight has been put on, chances are, a lot of it is caused by bloat. Bloat is characterized by a very uncomfortable feeling in your own skin and your stomach sticking out more than usual accompanied by discomfort. Here are 7 tried and tested tips to help you de-bloat and fit back in your skinny jeans in no time.
1. Carbs attract water: Think of any carb you eat as a sponge. The more you eat, the more water it holds in your body. Picture the piece of bread you’ve been craving for as a big sponge that holds water and sugar that takes long to break down. That should be enough to pass on the bread basket.
2. High fiber foods, while good for the digestive tract, also causes bloating. Fiber absorbs water causing your tummy to get big. Too much fiber also causes constipation and gassiness. Fiber is also an indigestible carbohydrate, so if you don’t drink enough water when eating fiber, this will cause it to get stuck in your system.
3. Thinking of reaching for vegetables after a junk laden holiday? Think well and think twice about what you are eating. Vegetables and fruits such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, prunes, apricots contain sugars and starches that can cause bloating. Cooking your greens instead of eating lots of raw vegetables will also help you avoid bloating. The cooking process breaks down hard to digest fibers. Green leafy vegetables are also good to eat, but not in excess. Some people are more sensitive to leafy vegetables than others, so try and observe if your stomach swells up after eating a big salad or not.
4. Load up on healthy protein. Your body is made up of mostly protein therefore you need to take in a good amount of this. Lean meats, chicken, fish and seafood with a side of cooked veg for main meals is a healthy way to loose pounds.
5. Watch the sugar in your fruit: Many people can easily over do fruits in an attempt to diet, but not all fruits are equal. Fruits contain high amounts of sugar. Berries of any kind are the lowest in sugar. Loose your sugar craving by picking on a bowl of berries.
6. Take a natural diuretic. There are many options now for teas and herbal supplements. Our favorites include Weigtless tea by Traditional Medicinals , Dandelion root from Healthy Options, and organic turmeric capsules.
7. Water water water. Water flushes out all the fat and toxins stuck in your system and is one of the best things you can do for your body.